Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Red Maple Tree



Today, I’m sitting in the front room looking out our bay window and watching all the leaves fall.  Rich is outside clearing a little more.  We had so many overgrown laurel shrubs that were actually more like trees. Rich has worked hard to open the house up to more light.

I admit when I first saw this place, it didn’t really call to me.  I so wanted a little more acreage and no close neighbors, but it was an amazingly good buy and we felt some pressure to move as our savings was dwindling.  Rich really liked the property.  He loves the water.  We are so close to the bay that we love our walks in the morning towards it.  Sometimes the water is covered in fog, other days a bit choppy and some days, especially in the summer, it’s as smooth as glass.
Taylor Bay


At any rate, both the house and property needed a huge amount of work.  We will talk more about that as we go along.  We spent several months living in our old Southwind RV before we could move into the house.  That was an experience just getting the RV here.  It’s roadworthy, insured and all that, but it’s old.  Rich did a fabulous job getting it ready for us to live in for a while.  It definitely paid for itself, however I am glad we’re in the house now.
  
There were a couple of aspects about this property that did make me smile and think ….hmm…..maybe this could be a great place.  First, I loved the mix of open yard and woods.  (Just to warn you, there is a high usage rate of the word “love” coming up, and I meant to do it.) I love that we can walk back into our property and down a wooded ravine to a private little spot.  The ravine is covered with ferns, huckleberries, holly, cedar, big leaf maples and other greenery.  
Our Woods at Huckleberry Hill
 
I love the siding on the house - as silly as that may sound.  I can’t wait to stain it next summer and paint the trim white.  I love the deck off the landing upstairs where I work on our business.  It looks out over the woods and towards the bay. I also love that as we drive to our place, we go around a bend at the marina that has Mt. Rainier in the background.  It is beautiful. 


 I love the trunks of the Laurel and the two wild roses we have.  
Laurel Trunks
Laurel Trunks

















I love the lizards, birds, frogs, red squirrels, and deer (at least at this point until we have a garden – then we’ll see what I have to say).   

But the one thing that our old yard had that I was going to miss immensely was our red maple tree.  I loved that red maple tree.  As it turns out, there was a large tree on the west side of the house that was not leafed out yet when we first came to Huckleberry Hill, so we didn't know what kind of tree it was.  My heart sang when I saw it leaf out.  It was a huge red maple. Silly as it may seem...

The Red Maple Tree



 I knew then this could be home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment